Thursday, September 29, 2005

Weird

So I surf over to channel 7, looking for a little Bouchard to brighten my day and I read this:

WEATHER ALERT: The National Weather Service has issued a high wind warning for the following cities until 5 p.m. Gloucester, Foxboro, Norwood, Cambridge, Boston, Taunton, Brockton, Plymouth, Foster, Smithfield, Providence, West Greenwich, Warwick and points in between. Wind speeds will reach 30 to 40 mph with gusts to 60 mph. A high wind warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.

West Greenwich is my hometown. The road my Mom lives on was dirt until about ten years ago. Until about the same time ago, we were known for being home to Rhode Island's only truck stop. When I tell people where I'm from, they squint and say "Is that near Providence or Newport?" I say, "roughly the same distance to either." Now the National Weather Service is using my little podunk town as a geographic reference point for wind warnings? Wowza.
So cheers to you, West Greenwich. Somewhere within your borders my mother sits, half-praying a heavy tree will fall on her hip, causing the surgery to be moved up a week.

No comments: