Friday, August 04, 2006

I'm just CRAZY about Tiffany's

Last night I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time. It was cute, and I definitely want Audrey Hepburn's hair and clothes from the movie, but I don't really get the big deal. Perhaps I'm not well-versed in the style of 60s cinema but Hepburn's diction drives me nuts. George Peppard, however? Hottie. It's also interesting how only forty-something years ago men were still telling women they "belonged" to them. "Belong to each other" I'm okay with, but "you belong to me" gets on my nerves. I guess it's the "Every Breath You Take" association that didn't exist in 1961.

The one thing that does impress me in that movie is how Holly gets men to fawn on her. Women in modern movies have to ooze sexuality, wear short skirts, and have cleavage to their chins before a man in a movie gives her a glance. Audrey Hepburn's character manages to captivate men with her tits under fabric. Having the world's prettiest face doesn't hurt, but she gets guys to take her out while still being classy. I love how she suggests that Paul take her out, and Paul does it. Holly is unabashed and gets what she wants without being a stank ho. I think I will take a lesson from this. Of course, the best example of this is when Holly sees her ex-husband, and tells Paul to take her out.

"Only promise me one thing, don't take me home until I am drunk...very drunk indeed!"

Tonight I get to have the semi-exciting, semi-sad experience of going to the airport and not going anywhere. The family I babysit for is coming back from vacation so I'm going to pick them up. I haven't seen the kids in nearly a month so it'll be nice to see them tonight, even if they're jetlagged. I'll utter a Hail Mary as I go through the tunnels and hope for the best. Have a great weekend!

No comments: