Monday, August 21, 2006

The Line Forms to the Left of the Zakim

Once I read that the Sox lost 2-1 to the Yankees, losing five times to the Bronx Boys in four days, my iPod commenced playing "Raining in Baltimore" by the Counting Crows, which may be the most sad-bastard song Adam Duritz ever penned. As the song wound down and I stopped laughing instead of crying, my iPod seamlessly segued into "Road to Joy" by Bright Eyes, which is perhaps the least sad bastardy song by a wholly sad bastardy artist.

What else can we do? I found my 2004 World Series hoodie last night, and I remembered those happy times. We'll go back there someday. Don't line up to hurl yourself off the Zakim. It'll be okay. In fact, don't even stand around there with the suicidal masses, because the poorly constructed bridge will probably collapse under the weight of the sorrow on top of it.

No comments: