Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Good Grief!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Word, Chuck ol'Boy.

Sunday night I watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas. I have a good amount of love for all Christmas specials (except the new bullshit ones they make up) but I think that it's a tie for first between A Christmas Story, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and A Charlie Brown Christmas for my personal favorites. A Christmas Story is all about the way Christmas is for a kid-- trying to be good and wanting a toy your parents don't want to get you. Rudolph is just freaking cute. A Charlie Brown Christmas debates the nature of modern Christmas.

Our intrepid protagonist, Charlie Brown, is dissatisfied with the nature of modern Christmas. He is awash in existential despair. While those around him skate and enjoy each other's company, Charlie Brown feels isolated and alone. He doesn't get any Christmas cards. His sister asks Santa for "tens and twenties." His faithful hound decorates his doghouse to win "money money money." After seeing a shrink with questionable certifications, Charlie Brown elects to get involved with the Christmas pageant to get into the spirit.

Has anyone else noticed how completely shitty Charlie Brown's "friends" are? As I was watching the show with adult eyes, I felt horrible for poor Charlie Brown. However, I think Schultz had how kids treat each other right, because as a kid it didn't seem at all unusual to me to watch the other kids call Charlie Brown a blockhead, stupid, and tell him he can't do anything right. They even point and laugh at him. If this show were made in modern times, Charlie Brown would be in the school shrink's office on school-shooting watch after suffering these indignations.

And Lucy! God, what a bitch she is. Dial it down, sister. "You didn't answer me right away. You had to think about it first, didn't you? If you really had thought I was beautiful, you would've spoken right up. I know when I've been insulted. I KNOW WHEN I'VE BEEN INSULTED." Somebody needs to ask Santa for some lithium.

Charlie Brown tries to direct the school play to find some meaning behind the Christmas season, but it is Linus' explanation that finally gets Charlie Brown what he needs. I'm not a very churchy person, but something about Linus' little voice talking about the shepherds in the fields gets me all choked up. All Charlie Brown needed was a little Jesus as the reason for the season to get inspired to clean up his little wooden tree. When Charlie messes it up, his friends-- who suddenly don't suck-- save the day, and they join in a semi-circle to lift their heads in unison and sing up to the sky.

Love it.

No comments: