Monday, January 22, 2007

De Nile

Boy, that sure was a short weekend, wasn't it? It's almost as if Sunday, January 21, 2007 never happened. Especially any events between 6:30pm and 10:30pm. Right? Right? Right.

I don't even want to talk about it. Once I get my ancient laptop back into WiFi range, you'll see the photographic evidence of my unraveling. It's good I got all the swear words out of my mouth before I live with minors.

Since I stressed myself out yesterday with the football, I can't even start to think about the 7500 people currently running for president that announced this weekend (I'm still hoping for the Stewart/Colbert ticket) without giving myself congestive heart failure. I can't think about packing anymore. I can't even discuss the mountains of crap piled up against the walls of my little shithole, ready to collapse upon me at any moment without crying. I hate the mess, the disorganization, the fact that my life is yet again in 27 different boxes.

What I want to know from you is this. Is twenty-five too old to get my nose pierced?

Seriously. I can't decide. This weekend, a friend and I were going to go to Providence to the fine folks at Evolution Piercing where I got my ear cartilage done several years back until I ended up babysitting instead. She was going to get second holes in her ears, while I was looking into getting a little stud in my nose. Not a ring, a stud. I've always kind of wanted to have my nose pierced-- another friend of mine who is a second mother to me in age even thought it would look good. However, when I floated the idea by my friend Steph, she was horrified.

"You're twenty-five. That's a college freshman thing to do."

"But I've always wanted one," I protested, "and my friend who is thirty-two just got hers done and it's adorable."

Steph backed off, but I could tell she thought it was a bad idea. So now I'm undecided. If I walked into work with it, nobody would look twice since I'm in publishing and everyone looks weird. However, if I wanted to find a new job, I'm worried it would hold me back. I wouldn't be able to remove the stud for a while without the hole closing up, so it's not like I could hide it right away. If I walked into another company for an interview, dressed professionally and articulating myself well but had a stud in my nose, would it make me look any less employable?

Let me know what you think.

No comments: