Thursday, January 04, 2007

Insane in the Membrane

Holy moly. Not only do I fear stepping into my old school for emotional reasons, now I can fear catching walking pneumonia and encephalitis.

The case of suspected meningitis was reported late Wednesday in an unidentified student at Hopkins Hill School in Coventry. Health investigators are looking into whether the latest case is related to mycoplasma, an infection blamed for encephalitis that killed a Warwick student and sickened two other children in the last few weeks.

Mycoplasma pneumonia, or "walking pneumonia," is common but very rarely progresses to a serious case of meningitis or encephalitis. Meningitis is an inflammation of membranes protecting the brain and spinal cord, and encephalitis is an inflammation of the brain.

While this isn't my district, I do worry since those little horny tots have cars and will travel. Oh well. At least I'd then have an excuse to stay home from work a little while longer. Though the swelling of my brain is a high price to pay.

If you ask my Mom or our cousin, it's because it's been so warm that these especially virulent germies are not dying. I am tending to agree with them.

No comments: