Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I'm Comin' Out, I Want the World to Know

I misspoke a couple of weeks ago when I said Buddy Cianci would get out of jail on my birthday. Cianci is in fact getting out of jail today.

I spoke to my Mom last night, and amid the talk of her back troubles and the goings-on of my life, she told me that Buddy Cianci was getting out of jail.

"Yeah, I wrote about that," I said.

"Well, you're gonna have a lot more to write about," my Mom replied. "He's already got lots of plans. The mayor of Providence has got to be fearing for his life right now. What a slimeball Buddy is." My Mom then cackled with glee.

Apparently, Buddy wants to build a library.

On the eve of his expected release from prison, the closest friends of Vincent "Buddy" Cianci Jr. are thinking about the best way to preserve the former mayor's legacy. . . .

Cianci deserves a library of his own, according to some of his friends who also said it is the former mayor's intention. Friends are already looking for an appropriate building to house Cianci's collection of memorabilia.


Can you even imagine what that library would be like? An ashtray and a fireplace log behind glass from his first assault charge. His lawyer bills on display. Pictures of Providence before Buddy beautified it through kickbacks and corruption. Copies of signs that will certainly crop up around Providence over the next few months demanding a revolution and Buddy's restoration to the mayor's office. Yes, the rich legacy of Buddy Cianci should be celebrated so other children may one day improve Rhode Island through sketchy deals and racketeering.

Rhode Island's news outlets must be psyched for this development. Finally, the ProJo can sell papers again. People will tune in to hear the latest adventures of Buddy Cianci. And since I don't live in Providence, I can't wait to see what happens.

No comments: