Friday, November 10, 2006

Charlie

You have got to be kidding me.

The nine-member board of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority did not debate the fare increase plan, which on Jan. 1 raises the price of subway and trolley tickets from $1.25 to $1.70, bus fares from 90 cents to $1.25, and commuter rail passes between 22 percent and 28 percent.

Seriously? Because I feel it's overpriced paying $1.25 for poor service, shoddy equipment, irregular scheduling, service that ends right when I need it (2am), and surly employees. Never mind paying $1.70 (I heard $1.75 on the TV news last night... which is correct?) for this wonderful "service." I know that this fare hike is supposed to improve things, but I have seen the "improvements" to the T, and I could do without them. The Breda cars are uncomfortable and of questionable safety. I live near the Hynes stop on the Green Line, and the "improved" CharlieTicket machines are always being repaired when I take the T (which is not very often) and have incredibly long lines that block the entrance to the platforms.

I moved to Boston in 2000. T fares were $.85 when I moved here. Then they went to $1. Then $1.25. Now $1.70. That is a huge increase in six years.

There is only so much I can take, Boston. Your rent is high, your food is expensive, your beer is overpriced, your men are short and prickish. God help me, I will fulfill my dream to open a Dunkin Donuts franchise somewhere where I can live above ground with a tall man and a nice kitchen.

No comments: