Sunday, June 10, 2007

Low Side of the Road

I both love and hate when the meteorologists make the wrong forecast in a good way. While it's nice to get a bonus sunny day, it's not good when you're trying to make plans for your precious 48 hours of freedom. My friend A and I went back and forth on Friday and yesterday about what we should do on Sunday. Since every meteorologist in the Boston area called for both days to be drizzly damp affairs, imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to see the sun filtering through my window.

"What the fuck?" I said, as if the sun was somehow bad news.

After administering my weekend dose of bagel and iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts, A and I finally got our act together and went to Wrentham. Which, for someone with a high credit card balance and is paying too much in rent, was a stupid idea. We'd planned to go to Banana Republic and J. Crew, but after we each spent over $100 in J. Crew and nearly squashed four children whose parents weren't paying any attention to them, we packed it in early. But the sun was bright and strong and the breeze was cool, so we went down to our native land of Rhode Island for some chowder and clamcakes.

As we drove around after lunch looking for a Dels stand to soothe our too-full bellies, we saw a Saturn pulled over on the side of the road. An angry looking man in a wife beater and baggy basketball shorts stalked away from the car. It looked like he was hoofing it to the park-and-ride nearby to call for help. Once we got closer to the Saturn, we saw a woman sitting in the driver's seat and sobbing, and the car slowly began to move forward.

"OHHHHHHHHHH! DAMN!" A and I hooted as we drove off.

"He must have said something really bad to get dumped out here," I commented.

"Or she admitted something really bad and he insisted she let him out," A theorized.

"Holy crap. That sucks. He's got a long walk even if he lives near here."

"Damn. Wow. I bet that's a good story," A muttered.

"I can't believe I've never been left on the side of the road by a boyfriend," I commented. "There were a couple times I thought I would for sure. But that chick did it. Damn."

This only goes to show that telling someone emotional news when you're in a car is not the best idea. Pick that fight when you're near a phone to call a cab. This announcement is brought to you by Those Who've Been In Shitty, Semi-Abusive Relationships and the Ad Council.

No comments: