Friday, November 04, 2005

Forget Silver and Gold, It's Yellow and Blue

I am a liberal. Much to my mother's chagrin, I turned out just about as blue as a Smurf. I think about how my actions impact the rest of the world. I donate to Oxfam and other charities. I drink local and European beers, unless there's football, then it's all about the Coors Light. But I am a poor liberal. I am in debt, but I appreciate the finer things. I want to look good, but not spend a ton of money. Hence, I am at the mercy of super-conglomerate European chains such as H&M and IKEA.
I'm torn, because IKEA is terrible for local chains. I mean, Jordan's isn't the little guy by any means, but there are many small-scale furniture makers who suffer from chains such as IKEA and Jordan's. Most of the furnishings in my Mom's house came from a tiny store in Exeter. Every once in a while we'd head down and come back with a new desk or a new hutch. It was more expensive, but the guy was willing to accommodate our requests. At IKEA and Jordan's, it's as-is.
But the stuff at IKEA is cool. The Whatever's entire bedroom comes from IKEA. Most of his living room does as well. It's functional and looks good. When I get a place I actually want to live in instead of the 24/7 party central that is my current apartment, I'll be down at IKEA with a truck and a measuring tape. Heck, I'll probably be down in Stoughton at the end of the month buying wine glasses and lamps. So until they find a way to make furniture my poor liberal paycheck can afford, it's IKEA for me. Although, in the scheme of things, IKEA isn't an entirely evil corporation.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Hee hee hee. I totally would not get the job.

No comments: