Monday, November 07, 2005

I'm All For Slogan T-Shirts

But the ones described in this article kind of cross a line.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Retailer Abercrombie & Fitch said on Friday it would stop selling some of its T-shirts after a national boycott by teenage girls, who objected to slogans emblazoned across the shirts such as "Who needs brains when you have these?"

And,
Other T-shirts featured the slogans "Blondes are adored, brunettes are ignored," and "I make you look fat."

I think that shirts like these are generally okay. I own a "Real Cowboy Wanted" shirt, and I dig the slogan shirts. The only reason I don't own more is that I may someday have a big-kid job and can't wear them to work. But I think marketing these sentiments to young girls sits wrong. Some fat bald fuck in an office reviews the designs, thinks about his ex-wife who got a little too old who was a brunette that he turned in for his new-model wife, and approves it. And, of course, using boobs instead of brains goes against everything I believe. I love my boobs, but I'd much rather have people tell me I got places because I'm smart. I'd much rather have young women believe they can get places better by planning a course than floating around whereever their tits may take them.
So, good on you, teenage girls who boycotted Abercrombie and Fitch. I'm glad to see the gloom and doom lamentations of this generation aren't entirely true.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Klassy, Abercrombie. Klassy.

No comments: