Friday, March 17, 2006

Movin' On Up

So it begins. The move of 2006.

Last night my sketchy landlord came over to talk with us about ending the lease early. We're sick of the neighbors and the mice; he's sick of us complaining about the neighbors and the mice. When we told him he was wrong not to evict the neighbors after all the complaints we've made since they moved in, he came in with the priceless line "I am not the law. I am not a judge. I can't do anything because that's them." It almost made me want to sue him for violating the quiet enjoyment clause that is in the lease kit that he bought at Staples. But I must use my current apartment-hating rage to fuel my hunt for a new place.

The latest I can be out of the apartment is May 31st, but we're allowed to leave earlier, and I'd move next week if I can find enough boxes. Craigslist is looking a little sad right now, but one listing looks nice and Deb's brother has a friend who is a realtor, so hopefully we'll find something a little nicer than some of the shitholes listed now.

I want all this, for $1500/mo or less:

  • 2 bedroom, preferably with the bedrooms situated apart from each other
  • heat and hot water included
  • a fairly roomy kitchen with disposal/dishwasher and counters (we have none in the place we're in now)
  • a bathroom that isn't scary (this is scary) like my current bathroom
  • professionals-only building
  • close to Beacon Street, between St. Mary's and Cleveland Circle
  • not on Comm Ave! NO B LINE!!
  • not a street- or basement-level apartment
I am stoked. I do like looking for places because I get to imagine all the cool window treatments and how a couch will look and where I can put my books. I do not like dealing with realtors and paying deposits and packing my stuff. The longer I've been in a place, the more stuff I forget I own. I've been in my current place for three years, so I'm sure I've got endless piles of shit stowed away. But this gives me an excuse to get rid of my bad feng shui futon (it's ugly, and came from an ex-guy which is bad for chi) and clothes I haven't worn in years. It also gives me an excuse to blow some money at Ikea in a few months. Awesome.

So keep your eyes peeled for me, people. I'd be much obliged.

No comments: