Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Stand Up

Usually I have a set routine for my evenings. Leave work, go to the gym, head back to my hizzle and watch TV or read. Yesterday I had an opportunity to make a little money by ushering, so I walked through the Common to get to Park Street and head to the Other Side of the Charles.

As I got near the Tremont Street side of the park, I saw a ton of people gathered around. Usually I don't think much of protests, mainly because it's right by Emerson, and I figured they were protesting something trivial. As one of my classmates said, Emersonians protest the growth hormones used in their Starbucks lattes, but do so while puffing on cigarettes. As I got closer, I saw the crowd was much larger than any Emerson gathering, and the crowds were holding Brazilian and Colombian flags. Flags I didn't even recognize were flying. A woman spoke in Spanish and I couldn't make out what she was saying. She then started speaking in English and Spanish, and talking about Mayor Menino supporting the immigrants who were assembled on the Common to protest unfair immigration laws.

It was impressive. A calm scene, with ambulances and cops standing around in case anything should have turned ugly, but there was no danger. People milled around in the early spring air, wearing slightly less bulky coats and listening and cheering. As I walked toward the T station, noticeably against the current of people coming into the park, I saw that most of the people going to attend the rally were families. Women brought their daughters and sons, who carried American flags and the flags of their native countries. Kids skipped ahead of their parents, walking toward the assembly. Hand-made signs that I couldn't comprehend were in many people's hands, ready to be unfurled.

I don't know much about America's immigration policy. I know that since the World Wars we've had many excuses to keep "undesirable" people out of our country. I've seen the Dateline pieces about cops working the borders at night to capture Mexican immigrants and send them back, the Coast Guard in Florida capturing boatloads of Cuban immigrants and bringing them back. All I know is that it was great to see families going to a peaceful demonstration, looking to make their presence known. I think America would be much better if it's native citizens took more pride and thought in their country and involved their kids in the political process. I never went to a protest with my Mom, but I helped her campaign with the town Republicans as a kid (...yes, I know) and I got a good idea of how politics work that way (and a tongue thick with envelope glue). It's great to see people stick up for themselves and campaign for something they believe in, and show their kids that there's a peaceful way to go about it.

No comments: