Friday, March 04, 2005

I Heart Geeks

Dear computer geeks,

I love you. Seriously. Hallmark should make a genre of greeting cards just for you. They should smell like pizza, coffee and Red Bull, the fuels that keep you going. Words can barely express my gratitude to you for, again, saving my ass from certain technological doom.
As you know I spent my Tuesday night in the fetal position on my bed, staring at the blue screen that was once my beautiful laptop wallpaper and IMs and weeping. After text messaging people in a panic, after threatening to throw the computer (followed closely by myself) out the window, I decided to ask the tech guy at my office, Dan, to take a gander at my laptop and see what I did to it. Apparently, my hard drive (at three years old, an antique) is dying. Dan agreed, for the price of the part and a length of copper wire (which he assures me will be used for home brewing and the FBI will not be knocking down my door to "ask some questions") to install a new one. He gave me my ill laptop back after backing up the hard drive and told me to bring it back when the hard drive came in.
Thank you, computer people. Thank you. My jukebox/communication device is back in operating form for the time being. It glowed happily in Dan's office, surrounded by the carcasses of lesser computers. The media may give you a bad rap, but I love you all to pieces. And not just because you help me, but because you answer questions from people even less technologically inclined than me ("So there's this blue thing, and it's got an arrow and it's just being weird").
Now if only the geeks can do something to save my iPod, which is also having a slow and painful death...

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I sense this won't end well. And I think you know what I mean. :-)