Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Grandma's Smarter than Your Turnpike Official

I think my grandmother may be smarter than everyone.

My cousin lives in Revere. Or he did live in Revere-- I think he moved. In either case, she vowed that she would never go to visit him since she'd have to go through the tunnels. "I'm not going through that thing," she said. "I think I'd need a snorkel set to get through it it leaks so much. He can come home if he wants to see us." I laughed, thinking it was just typical old-woman paranoia.

Now, with the news that inspectors have found SIXTY additional structural problems in that one part of the tunnel? Like, six-zero, six groups of ten sixty? Holy shit. My grandmother should be running the Turnpike Authority. My grandfather could probably build a better tunnel with his knowledge of weatherstripping than the super-educated engineers made with millions of dollars.

It's times like this I'm glad I live in the Back Bay and can walk to my office. As long as there isn't an earthquake that makes my area of Boston slide into the Charles, I feel pretty safe. I still don't think my grandmother will be coming to visit me anytime soon.

No comments: