Monday, July 11, 2005

Are You Paying Attention?

Sunday was spent, as all my Sundays seem to be spent nowadays, hungover. Which I'm not even certain was a hangover, but more of a "Pina Colada Slurpee, meet rum while eating mozzarella balls with salt and pepper since every restaurant is closed and all I have in the house is uncooked chicken at 2am after an Ikea run with the ex-W " situation. So, perhaps not hungover, but really, really fucking tired. We went to the ex-W's apartment with the intent of cleaning up and getting work done, but instead passed out from exhaustion and watched a show on PBS about Tupperware. This is my wild urban life, people.
The ex-W has an addiction to Google news. I'm more of a Yahoo! front page kind of girl, mainly because it's easy. But while he searched for news of bombings in Iraq, I noticed this juicy little tidbit of gossip. No, it's not Katie Holmes in a wedding dress. No, it's not the President choking on a donut. It's even better.
Karl Rove leaked the identity of former CIA agent Valerie Plame.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com "committing federal crimes is a laugh a minute, hoss!"
Think about it. This guy is in a huge amount of contact with the President. He's in charge of policy. And he's leaking the identity of CIA agents. Federal crime. This is huge.
Now it's going into a "well, I didn't say her exact name, so I didn't blow her cover" debate that I'm sure will go on for months to come. Kind of like Clinton's "I tried it, but didn't inhale" argument.
Also, something I didn't know, courtesy of Wikipedia (another of the ex-W's online haunts):
In 1970, at the age of nineteen and while a protege of Donald Segretti (later convicted as a Watergate conspirator), Rove sneaked into the campaign office of Illinois Democrat Alan Dixon and stole some letterhead, which he used to print fake campaign rally fliers promising "free beer, free food, girls and a good time for nothing," and distributed them at rock concerts and homeless shelters. Admitting to the incident much later, Rove said, "I was nineteen and I got involved in a political prank." (The Nation).

Just a prank. Just like Voldemort-ing the identity of a federal agent. It's a load of fun being Karl Rove. I'd like to think he's going to get put away, or at least reduced to a talking head on CNN like the guys from Watergate, but he's a tricky son of a bitch and he'll probably get promoted. Just keep your eyes on this one-- it's going to take some political pressure on the President and others to stick to their promises and punish who's responsible for this crime.

No comments: