Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Can I Get a Fuck You?

I love Kelly Clarkson. There. I said it.

I was addicted to the first season of American Idol. My crappy roommates and I made it a point to be hammered and watch the comic stylings of Seacrest and Dunkleman. As the season wore on, the producers even managed to crack our pretentious liberal-arts student shells and we voted. For Kelly Clarkson. We just wanted to punch that Sideshow Bob lookin' guy (Justin Guarini) in the nuts. I was glad she won. Then Seacrest said he'd see us "next year."

"Wait, didn't we just find the American Idol? Shouldn't that be it?"

I guess America feels just about the same way. I know the other people have released albums, and I may even be able to name some of them, but nobody blew up like Clarkson has. Her poppy songs from her most recent, post-American Idol album, Breakaway are awesome. I know this because I just got the CD. Does she write the songs? No. Is there a football-team's worth of producers behind her? Yep. But I don't give a crap. Put on "Since U Been Gone" and let me wail in the car. She knows my soul.

I watched last night's season premiere of whatever season of American Idol this is. I like to watch this show during the auditions, strictly for the schadenfreude, and at the end when there's about five jailbaiters left for me to pick one and root for. And, much to my delight, I just read that Kelly told American Idol that they can't use her songs in their show. It's a lot like Bruce Springsteen telling Reagan he couldn't use "Born in the U.S.A." as his campaign song. Kelly just gave the team of Simon and Simon a big ol' fuck you.

Of course, Simon Cowell, nasty judge, producer and money-grubber had words for Miss Clarkson. "I think that by ignoring the show you're ignoring the audience who put you there." Of course, Simon's just cranky that Kelly didn't roll over and play dead for 19 Entertainment, who owned her soul for her first (and crappier) album. The public enjoys quality pop music, Simon, and they'll follow Kelly wherever she goes. You created the monster, and you can't try to cage it once it's got a taste of freedom.

No comments: