Sunday, January 08, 2006

European Tarts

ABC is telling me it's my dream to fall in love in Paris. "Falling in love in Paris is every girl's dream," says one of the tarts on the new season of The Bachelor.
Is it? At some point, visiting Paris would be nice. But falling in love in Paris? Meeting someone on vacation lends itself to some tricky situations. I know I'm a completely different person when I'm on vacation. When you don't need to take out the trash, it's a lot easier to love a guy who leaves it to fester in the back hallway.
I'd be happy to find love anywhere. Last time, I found it in my own house (thanks, Kristen!) which was convenient. I kind of wish I could import men into my house. I could whip up something for him in Precious, sit him down, discuss the finer points of life and his trash-removal preferences. Once I get to know a man in the comfort of my own home, on my own turf, once I'm sure he won't rip up my passport or smuggle drugs in my toiletry bag, then we can take a trip. The Whatever and I headed to Florida after about a month of knowing each other and had a good time.
I have had luck meeting people on trips. The last time I was in London, I met a guy from New Zealand and we kind of hit it off, but I don't really talk to him often anymore. Long distance relationships take on a whole new meaning when they involve a passport. But it can work. A friend of mine met her boyfriend in the Dominican, he called and said he'd be coming to see her for Christmas once she returned, did come to visit, and they've been together since.
In March, I'll get my chance to find love in another couple of Europe's most romantic cities. Alicia and I booked a trip to Rome and Venice. I'm excited to travel again (I haven't been abroad since 2002), especially since I've never been to Italy. There is cause to be a little nervous, since I don't speak Italian and I've been told that the Italian men tend to be a bit more aggressive toward us light-haired women, but if Rick Steves tells me I'll be safe on the boot, I'll take my chances. If getting my ass grabbed is the worst that happens to me on vacation, I'll be happy.

No comments: