Monday, January 23, 2006

Snow Daze

Boston.com has this photo essay of the gigantic blizzard that struck a year ago today, which I totally thought happened next month. I'll always remember that snowstorm with a sense of cognitive dissonance-- I'd just flown back in from Florida the night before after doing my first living in sin vacation with the Whatever. Kristen drove me to the hospital in the early blowing snow since I had a UTI that had me sobbing on the couch, and I spent much of the next day talking to her as she was snowed in in Weymouth, drinking cranberry juice, and hating the Whatever for still being in Florida, even if he was just with his older coworkers.

This morning's snowfall was cute, until it delayed my train, making it extra fun to support the old coot who decided to stand in the middle of the aisle and use my back as an extension for the handlebar I was holding. It was kind of pretty to watch-- the big fat flakes of snow falling when it's almost warm enough to rain, giving the view of the hotel across the street from my office the appearance of being inside a snowglobe. If we had ten inches, it would be annoying, but since there isn't much on the ground, it's nice.

It is not, however, allowed to snow on March 1. It will be a beautiful, warm day with light winds both here and in New York so we can make it to Italy with a minimum of fuss. After that, it can snow all week so Logan can't even be located on Google maps as far as I'm concerned. I'll buy a phone card in Venice, call the office and say that, shucks, I can't make it back to the States with all the snow, and I'm going to go sip some wine and eat gelato until I puke.

Italian lessons still proceed slowly. Muzzy DVD and book is on reserve at the Brookline library. Hopefully the seven-year-old finishes up with it pretty quickly because I could really, really use that.

No comments: