Monday, February 27, 2006

Cold and Colds

Good Christ it is cold outside. Not in the "I have a touch of the gooseflesh" cold, but in the "I would skin the goose's flesh to warm myself" cold. Of course, it couldn't hold off until I dragged my laundry back from Rhode Island to get cold. I don't know what I want to bring yet, so I decided I would wash all of it. My grandfather also gave me a gallon of Southern Comfort that he didn't want, so I had a lot to carry. I managed to convince the Whatever to pick me up at Back Bay (I couldn't convince him to come all the way to Little Rhody, sadly) which was a huge help. I had spicy calamari at a sushi place for dinner, but I was still cold.

That, and everyone is sick. My coworker's cute baby had the stomach flu. Another coworker is hacking up a lung. My roommate may have bronchitis. I am going to become one of those people on the train who wears a surgical mask and washes their hands compulsively. Every time I get near a sink, I wash with scalding hot water and soap. Then I come back to my desk and lube my hands up with Neutrogena hand cream which is made of every type of petroleum known to man. Still, my hands split and are very susceptible to paper cuts. I am also freebasing Zicam. I have that tired, droopy-eyed, kind of scratchy throat thing that could be a cold, but could also mean I need to go to the gym since I haven't been since Thursday.

I finally got my last 1099, so I had to go outside and mail the forms to my Mom so she can bring them to the accountant this week. I walked down Stuart Street, tears forming in my eyes and instantly freezing. I was wearing a cashmere sweater, a wool sweater and my coat, but it felt like I had nothing on. I dragged my ass to the Dunkin Donuts a few doors down and felt like I'd just walked the arctic. Unfortunately, the coffee tastes like ass and is only lukewarm. I think I may sleep in the office tonight. But I will rally, and I will drink the SoCo until I fall asleep tonight (hopefully around 8pm) and be well for my trip. If I am not well, I do not care. I have sick time for when I get back. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to snort more Zicam and explain myself to the perplexed stares of my coworkers.

No comments: