Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Plea

I don't think this is enough. Because of this man's actions, one hundred people needlessly died. For a stupid-ass, dangerous trick which he had no training to perform, Daniel Biechele indirectly caused the death of 100 people, and the injury of many other people. When you work out how much time he'll spend in jail for each person who died, it's about six weeks. It's like sending someone to jail for six weeks for the involuntary manslaughter of one person. I am no lawyer, but it seems a little light, even for a plea deal.

I am apparently still not over this. Almost every time I'm home, I drive by where the Station was. There's a makeshift memorial there, with faded-out plywood crosses and bedraggled stuffed animals and fake flowers around them. I think in any place where 100 people died, it would be a slow thing to heal. But in a small place like Rhode Island, it's harder, especially when you know most of the people there didn't have a ton of money to afford life insurance or anything else to help people out. Some people (shout out to Pete and Mr. Flanagan!) did their best to help. But this plea deal doesn't seem good enough.

No comments: