Monday, February 13, 2006

Lovin' Feelin'

Well, this certainly warms the cockles of your heart, doesn't it? A man dies after his health insurance company rejects all the claims he and his doctors made, including a prescription for oral morphine when he was at the end of his life to lessen his suffering. (Thanks for the tip, reader Michael.)

I think Michael Moore reported on something like this on one of his short-lived TV shows, and the only way he got the company to agree to cover the dying man's claims was to stage a funeral outside the building, complete with coffin and bullhorn. I do worry about this-- my company keeps lowering the quality of the plans they offer us (this year it was the dental, but I fear next year it'll be the health care) and I think a lot of healthcare companies are going to try to get away with covering less procedures on flimsy pretenses. Our system of healthcare is flawed, and we have to fix it. I don't know how to fix it, really, but if anybody's got any good ideas, perhaps you should write a letter to your Congressman.

No comments: