Monday, April 03, 2006

Alma Mater

Image hosting by Photobucket

Um.

I do not like hearing the phrases "tragic accident" and "Emerson College" in the same sentence. Because as much as I shriek with laughter when the alumni office calls and asks for donations, as much as I rag on my classmates, and as much as I rag on the fact that the dorm had a display celebrating the collegiate experience of Henry Winkler, I love that fucking school. I loved my professors, I loved what I learned there, I love it's hip urban location, even if that meant not living on-campus. Then they try to build a dorm so everyone has a space on-campus and this happens.

My coworker came in from lunch and told Kristen and I that her mother had called to ask if she was okay. "Do you work on Boylston Street? A crane fell and crushed some cars." We figured out it was Emerson, and we met Annette at the bar to watch the first couple innings of the Sox opener.

"The streets are closed. Even part of the Common is. Three people died, at least."

"The crane fell over?"

"No," Annette said, "it fell off of the building."

"Holy shit," I replied. "how is there not a giant hole in the street? That's a tall building."

"I dunno. I couldn't see in since they had the whole area blocked off."

My thoughts are with the families of the people who got killed or hurt in this accident. Talk about not knowing what hit you... it's horrifying.

No comments: