Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Single Life

I didn't want to say anything until it was signed and sealed, but I finally have good news on the real estate front.

Not only do I have a place to live, but I am living alone.

Not only am I living alone, I am living alone in the Back Bay.

Not only am I living alone in the Back Bay, all my utilities are included in the rent, which is only slightly more than I'd planned on spending living with another person.

Of course, it's a studio. Of course, it's a basement studio. But I don't care. Well, I mean, if I'd had the choice of living in a basement or having the penthouse for the same money, I'd care, but... you know. It gets good light from the fairly large windows, it has a kitchen, and I can get a cat, so when I talk to myself (as I like to do) I won't look completely deranged. Also, I fear the vermin that could take up residence in my basement fortress of solitude unless I find a fierce jungle cat to live with me and eliminate them. And KITTY!!!!!!!!!

It kind of happened by accident-- I was looking through craigslist, and saw a listing for a studio in Beacon Hill. I called the guy, who said the place on craigslist was a giant hellhole, but that he had a couple studios I might be interested in. I went to see him, figuring he'd show me complete crack dens and I'd begin my search for a two-bedroom with renewed fervor. Fortunately, he showed me a decent place. There's an alcove that will fit my bed, a closet (which I do not have at my current place), three windows in a bay-like shape, small built-in shelves, a bar-type surface, a tiny kitchen with a stove, four burners and a decent sized fridge, and a teeny bathroom. After thinking it over, I decided to take it.

So I am moving out of the 'burbs and into the city. I've never had a Boston address-- I've always lived in Brighton (which is technically Boston, but my address labels always read "Brighton") and Brookline. If there was any way I could have stayed in Brookline, I would have. My peeps and the family I babysit for are there, as well as my Local, which will still be my Local, dammit. But if I had to choose another place to live, I'd chose Back Bay. It's near work (no more T!), my gym, the Esplanade (gotta buy new Rollerblades), the grocery store, Storrow Drive, etc.

I am excited, but a little apprehensive. Who will give me the Heimlich if I start to choke to death? Who will distract me from my feelings when I am left to deal with them? What if the rats (which there is no evidence of, I checked the corners for poo) are so large they eat my jungle cat whole? What if, in the words of Kristen, I am having irrational fears? I have to cut myself some slack. The place is nice, my friends will still like me if I don't live around the corner from them, and even if it ends up being a calamity, I can always move out. If it's something I don't like, hey, I found out I hate it, move on. But I suspect I will greatly enjoy a room (literally) of my own.

No comments: