Monday, May 22, 2006

Capsule Review

Okay. I saw The Da Vinci Code on Friday night. Not only did I have the miraculous occurrence of not being seated next to some asshole who never shuts up, my six friends and I got seats all together. It was pretty awesome.

Oh, the movie? I'm no Siskel, but I'd give it a thumbs-up. It got a little draggy toward the end, and it definitely needed an intermission like the old-school movies used to have, but it was worth my $7 to see it. Car chases! Blood! Ritualistic sex! All the things that make you happy at a summer movie, but with the religious controversy chaser. Alicia saw protesters outside Loews on her way to meet me for dinner, but they must have left before we got there for the show because I didn't see them. Which was kind of disappointing, because I love a freak show.

There were a few points that the movie deviated from the book, and they were distracting. Mostly, the casting of Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon was bothersome. I know a lot of critics whined about how there's no chemistry between Tautou and Hanks, but that's not the issue. In the book, he's not openly trying to sex her up, but more admires her on an aesthetic level. But Langdon is supposed to be a bit of a heartbreaker, and a dashing kind of guy. I don't think Tom Hanks looks "dashing" in this movie. Or any movie. It's just not his bag.

So, my official opinion, with no film credentials or background, is that The Da Vinci Code is worth seeing. I am also officially excited for The Devil Wears Prada. I loves me some Meryl Streep.

No comments: