Monday, May 15, 2006

Hillary Clinton Cares About Poor People

I know I am going to catch flack from those of you who've been arguing in my Mitt Romney post that I was unduly harsh on him for singing the praises of Hillary Clinton. "What a knee-jerk liberal," you will say. If you think I'm a knee-jerk liberal, that's all well and good, but do know that I am not a rabid Hillary supporter. I think it would idiotic for the Democrats to run her for President because she is so divisive in this country.

Anyway. I clicked on this link, because it seems that the media reports on every single one of Hillary's missteps in speeches, and I wanted to see if what she said was offensive. I guess she said that the twenty-something's generation believes that work is a four-letter word. Chelsea called her up and argued the point, and Hillary apologized. However, what caught my attention was this bit at the end:

New York's junior senator, who is up for re-election this year, also told the graduates she plans to introduce a bill that would help college students manage and repay their loans. The proposal would limit loan payments to a certain percentage of their incomes, she said.

Please God, let this bill pass. I am begging you. I don't mind paying back the tens of thousands of dollars I owe to Sallie Mae, Citibank, and the Feds, but I do mind my payments being nearly thirty percent of my monthly income. I think this problem will only get worse with the cost of college education skyrocketing. I think I will write my representative now to see if he'd be willing to propose this legislation, because I would be really grateful. I'm working, Hillary! Someday, I'd like to buy a condo or a house, which will never happen if I can't save any money at all.

No comments: